Keto Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and grits are widely known as comfort food of the South. We've modified it to make it keto with shrimp, bacon, and low-carb cauliflower grits, cheddar cheese, and cream. We think its absolutely fantastic.
- 14 oz. cauliflower
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1 oz. butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 oz. (½ cup) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Bacon and shrimp
- 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- salt (optional)
- 3½ oz. bacon
- 1 big minced garlic clove
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp fresh chives for garnish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Using a food processor or a hand grater, rice the cauliflower. Aim for a fine, couscous-like consistency.
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the cauliflower, cover with a lid, and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the butter, salt, and pepper, and cook for about 10 more minutes until the broth reduces and the cauliflower is tender.
- Add in the cheese and cream and mix well. Stir and mix until the cauliflower grits are at your desired consistency. Keep warm until serving.
- Bacon and shrimp
- Drain and dry the shrimp and add them to a large bowl. Season with the cajun seasoning, salt, and black pepper and set aside. If the seasoning has salt already, you can reduce or omit it.
- Chop the bacon into pieces and fry in a pan on medium-high heat until crispy, and then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the same pan that you cooked the bacon in. Make sure you do NOT remove any of the bacon fat from the pan.
- About 2 minutes after adding the shrimp, add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next, add the butter to the frying pan and cook for about a minute more until the shrimp is cooked all the way through.
- Turn off the heat and add in the lemon juice and give it a final stir.
- Serve the shrimp and bacon bits on top of your keto grits and garnish with chives or the green part of a spring onion.