Seared Mint Scallops with Bacon
Perfect for that tasty Keto appetizer or more than enough for a main course, these scallops are simply amazing!
- 12 large sea, scallops
- kosher salt and freshly ground, black pepper
- 2 cups shelled fresh, peas
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium, shallot, cut crosswise into thin rings
- 1½ teaspoons fresh, lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (or more), olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mint leaves, coarsely chopped, divided
- Place scallops on a paper towel-lined plate and pat very dry with additional paper towels. Season both sides with ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper total.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil, covered, in a small pot. Add peas and ½ tsp. salt; cook until peas are bright green and tender, about 2 minutes for fresh and 4 minutes for frozen. Drain peas through a strainer set over a bowl; reserve cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, add bacon to a large skillet and heat over medium-high. Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until fat starts to render, about 3 minutes. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened and lightly browned and bacon is crisp, about 3 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon and shallot to a small bowl, reserving fat in skillet. Add ½ cup cooked peas to bacon mixture.
- Purée lemon juice, ⅛ tsp. salt, ⅛ tsp. pepper, the remaining 1½ cups peas, and ½ cup reserved pea cooking liquid in a blender. Add oil and purée until smooth. Add 2 Tbsp. mint leaves and purée until just combined but pieces of mint are still visible. Divide pea purée among 4 plates.
- Heat skillet with reserved fat over high until just barely smoking. Working in batches and adding more oil if necessary, sear scallops until a golden brown crust has formed and scallop releases from skillet, about 3 minutes per side. Top pea purée with scallops and bacon-pea mixture, then sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. mint.